Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It's Summertime Again!

Arghhh. So busy. STILL trying to finish DAVID COPPERFIELD. I will. I really will. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of some Fun Summer Projects for us. Please tweet at me with book picks or leave a comment below. Here are some possibilities for our collective attention this summer:

- ABSALOM, ABSALOM! - Faulkner

- EUROPE CENTRAL - Vollman

- VANITY FAIR - Thackeray

- MRS. DALLOWAY - Woolf

- THE ADVENTURES OF AUGIE MARCH - Bellow

- FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS - Hemingway

- EMMA - Austen

- THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO - Dumas

- THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES - Doyle

A side project, for those of you who might want to brush up on your Spanish, is to attempt to read Carlos Fuentes's TERRA NOSTRA in Spanish. That'll be a longer-term project, as it's a long book, and it'll be slow going for those of us who are not at native-level Spanish reading and comprehension. But things are even weirder and more amazing when you don't fully understand them!

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, my votes (assuming I have multiple choices) go to Faulkner and Vollmann, but I would try to join in Thackeray, Woolf, Austen, and maybe Bellow or Hemingway (I've already read both of those but Bellow was probably 15 years ago, and Hemingway closer to 25) if the group so decided.

    ReplyDelete